Many colleges and universities in the Netherlands offer degree programs taught entirely in English. Below are ten South Holland schools which offer Bachelor, Master and MBA programs taught in English in The Hague, Rotterdam, Delft and Leiden.
Considering the sizable international community living in South Holland and with Dutch people in general being internationally-minded (a large portion of the Netherlands’ GDP is derived from international trade), this Top 10 List focuses on…
10 SOUTH HOLLAND UNIVERSITIES
WITH ENGLISH PROGRAMS
1) LEIDEN UNIVERSITY – L.U. was founded in 1575, which makes it the oldest established university in the Netherlands (it’s also among the twenty oldest universities in all Europe). The school recognizes and pushes the importance of internationalisation in education, partnering with a number of foreign universities for cooperative research. It is also part of a worldwide network of more than 600 universities which offer exchange programs so their students can study abroad. 85% of the university’s Masters degree programs are taught in English and it wants to expand its current offering of 6 Bachelor degree programs taught in English.
2) TU DELFT – The school has a history spanning 170 years, when it was first established by decree of King Willem II as a technical training institute. But it wasn’t until 1986 that the training institute officially transitioned to become “Technical University Delft”. There are only 2 undergraduate (Bachelor) degree programs taught in English (Aerospace Engineering and Applied Earth Sciences), but there are some 40 Masters degree programs along with PhD research degree programs.
3) ERASMUS UNIVERSITY ROTTERDAM – Erasmus University is as international as the its namesake, the theologian Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus (1466-1536), who lived in numerous countries during his life. EUR is especially known for its degree programs in the fields of medicine, economics and business administration. The school offers 11 different Bachelor degree programs taught in English, along with 29 Masters degree programs and a variety of PhD degree programs.
4) WEBSTER UNIVERSITY – The Webster University campus in Leiden is the only American-accredited university in the Netherlands offering both undergraduate (BA/BS) and graduate (MA/MBA) degree programs. The university’s main campus is located in St Louis, Missouri but its focus is highly international as there are now 100 Webster University campuses around the world. The Leiden campus was established in 1983. Degree programs are offered in a range of majors, including business management, international relations, psychology and media communications.
5) THE HAGUE UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES – The school is focused on providing its students with an international education and offers 12 Bachelor programs including Communication & Multi-media Design and international & European law, as well as 3 Master degree programs. The university is comprised of 4 campus locations: The Hague Center (pictured below), Kijkduin, Zoetermeer and Delft.
6) HOTELSCHOOL THE HAGUE – The hospitality school, founded in 1929, is ranked by many surveys as one of the top 5 in the world! All instruction is in English. The school offers a 4-year Bachelor degree program, a 2-year international fast track Bachelor program a and Master degree program.
7) INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SOCIAL STUDIES – The Hague-based institute was founded in the early 1950’s and has gone through several transformations as it adapted to changes in world dynamics. It has also been housed in a number of locations in The Hague, including Noordeinde Palace at one point. Today the institute offers an English-language Masters degree program (with a choice of 16 specialties) as well as a PhD degree.
8) ROTTERDAM UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES – This school of applied sciences (like that in The Hague) is heavily geared to preparing students for an international career. The university has two school divisions: Rotterdam Business School and the Willem de Kooning Academy. English-language Bachelor degree programs are offered in both; those with a business orientation (such as Trade Management for Asia and Supply Chain Management) are through the RBS while those with a creative orientation (such as Fine Art and Graphic Design) are offered through the WdKA. Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences also offers Master degree programs taught in English.
9) UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS, THE HAGUE – The school today is the result of the 2010 merger between The Royal Conservatoire (which offers Bachelors, Masters and PhD degrees in music and dance) and the Royal Academy of Art (which offers Bachelors, Masters and PhD programs in creative arts).
10) CODARTS UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS – This Rotterdam-based international university offers students higher education in the arts (music, dance, circus performance) which includes English-language Bachelor and Masters programs.