All ten of the biggest Dutch companies headquartered in the Netherlands generates a sizable amount of sales from its international operations, in some cases the majority of revenue comes from abroad. It would be virtually impossible for a company to make this list if it only had Holland customers.
Most of the businesses listed below have familiar names, be it the manufacturer of commonly used consumer products, the operator of large supermarkets or popular gas station chains. But there are a few surprises in the list, companies you will never have heard of, even if you live in the Netherlands.
Here are the top 10 largest Dutch companies based on 2014 annual turnover in USD as reported by Forbes Magazine in its Global 2000 List. Four of the five largest are headquartered in the South Holland region (two in Rotterdam, two in The Hague).
10 Largest Dutch Companies…
#1 ROYAL DUTCH SHELL – $420.4 billion [Head Office: The Hague]
– Involved in oil industry, including oil exploration, alternative energy research and gas station operations.
#2 ING GROUP – $65.7 billion [Head Office: Amsterdam]
– Involved in financial services industry, including banking, mortgages, loans and insurances.
#3 UNILEVER – $64.2 billion [Head Office: Rotterdam]
– Involved in consumer products industry, including manufacturer of personal care and household products.
#4 AEGON – $54.3 billion [Head Office: The Hague]
– Involved in financial services industry, including insurances and mortgages.
#5 LYONDELL/BASELL – $45.6 billion [Head Office: Rotterdam]
– Involved in the chemicals industry, including oil refining and production of plastic products.
#6 AHOLD DELHAIZE – $43.5 billion [Head Office: Zaandam]
– Involved in the food industry, including operation of supermarket, drugstore and liquor retail chains. Brands include Albert Heijn, AH, Giant Foods, Stop & Shop, Etos and Gall & Gall.
#7 PHILIPS – $29.7 billion [Head Office: Amsterdam]
– Involved in medical technology industry, including hospital and clinic devices, consumer personal care products, energy and lighting.
#8 HEINEKEN – $25.5 billion [Head Office: Amsterdam]
– Involved in food and beverage industry, including beer production and distribution. Additional brands include Amstel, Desperados, Sol, Tiger, Tecate and Red Stripe.
#9 RANDSTAD HOLDING – $22.9 billion [Head Office: Diemen]
– Involved in human resources industry, including recruitment and temporary services. Additional brands include Monster, Tempo Team and Digby Morgan.
#10 VIMPELCOM (VEON) – $19.6 billion [Head Office: Amsterdam]
– Involved in telecommunications industry, including mobile phone services to nearly 250 million customers in Europe (39% Russia, 31% Italy), Asia and Africa.